Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Daily Dash Up The Drive


We have a very long, steep driveway (550 feet), which snakes it's way up to the main road. Five times of walking up and down the drive gives me a pretty good 1 mile workout and I do try to do that a few times a week.

Yesterday was rainy for a good portion of the day and by 4 o'clock I was feeling a bit "cabin feverish" so I donned my rain gear and headed up the drive. Despite the gloom and fog, the brilliant hues of early autumn could not be contained and I was moved to bring those happy colors back to the house with me. What a pretty little bouquet they make for the dining room table!

Today, we awoke to dense fog outside and the eerie sound of a distant ship's foghorn. A quick tour around the fading summer garden brought lots of inspiration for photos despite the gloom. The Van Grootendorst Rugosa Rose is blooming in a last gasp before a hard freeze finally lets her drift into a long winter's rest - one she richly deserves as she has bloomed her heart out all summer long.

2 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

What a delightful bouquet just from walking down your own driveway!
I bet there will be a LOT of snow to remove from that driveway this winter. Do you have to get out early in the morning to go to work?

Giddy said...

We usually get up pretty early when we know we have snow coming. John plows the drive and I get my exercise by shoveling the porch and deck. Last year was a piece of cake - not much snow. It will be interesting to see how much we get this year. Also, I don't work as much in the winter months.