Sunday, February 17, 2008

Midwinter Musings

The sun is shining today, the skies are blue and my mood is much better, despite it still being cold. Tomorrow's forecast is for temperatures in the 40's - a veritable heat wave!

I spent yesterday downstairs in the winter garden room, checking for any new growth on the plants and giving them a bit of a drink. I think by next week, I'll be able to begin feeding them with a weak fertilizer to give them a jump start on the coming warmer weather.
The geraniums are still blooming. I'm "babysitting" this one for my neighbor.
The asparagus ferns are looking a bit tired, as usual for this time of year, but they will spring right back as soon as I put them outside. This bunch started from a $1.47, 2 inch pot about three years ago.
The Mandevilla vine is showing new sprouts, so I may have luck with it yet! I hope so as they were a bit expensive last year. If they don't make it I'll just have to go back to Morning Glories.
This little African Violet was given to me last year by Miss Shirley of Shirley's Yarns and Crafts, where I have my knitting class. I couldn't get a good photo of it, but it's almost pure white with just a hint of lavender.

Spikeums finally found his spot in the sun and settled down for a long nap. He was one happy kitty until Sluggo decided it was time for "Romper Room" activities and pounced on him.

I was browsing through last year's photos and came upon this one of the garden in full bloom and our favorite spot to sit in the late afternoon with a glass of wine. Ah yes, this time will come again. The nice thing about the seasons is that one always has something to look forward to. And I am definitely looking forward to Spring!

Life is Good! Hugs to All,

Giddy

8 comments:

Diana said...

oh my. Your garden photo looks like a magical cottage garden. It's beautiful. I know you are longing to sit back in it again - i sure would be. This is my first visit to your blog - thanks for reminding me to start a little fertilizer on the plants I have overwintered in the garage. They, too are starting to sprout and bloom and we will be able to put them outside here in about 2-3 weeks or so. Last freeze here (and very uncommon) is the first week in March, so I'd better get ready!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your indoor plants look so lush for being inside so long. I wish I had a neighbor that would tend my plants for the winter. They would be much better off no doubt.

The picture of your garden does make me yearn for spring even more. A lovely spot for a glass of wine or a cup of tea.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Giddy .. you are a fortunate gnome indeed ! beautiful garden to have a glass of wine in .. can I come over too ? LOL
Joy

Anonymous said...

Your plants look good. I like "the plant room", mine are having in front of the cellar windows getting all the light they can.

We had lots of fog today, did you? The temperature was in the high 40's and sure made me ready for spring.

The seeds I ordered should be here this week, but I think it is way to early to start anything. I do have some cutting from last year's geraniums rooting, though.

Kerri said...

We had warmer temps yesterday, but pouring rain. This morning it's snowing again.
I need to pick all the dead leaves off my geraniums. They're looking OK for the most part, just leggy. I think my Southgate Fuchsia is dead but the Marinka is doing well.
Spike looks like a happy camper :) Our 3 are 'romping' this morning.
I'm glad to see your Mandevilla is surviving. Hope it does well.
What a nice boost your summer garden has given me this morning. Thanks Giddy!
We're half way through February. Yah!!

kris said...

Hi Giddy - your downstairs plants look very healthy. Do you get enough light from the windows or do you supplement? I'm thinking it might be fun to have a little garden room for these long winters! The photo of your garden from last summer just makes me sigh - so beautiful. We have a ways to go, but the gardens are so wonderful once spring and summer finally arrive!

Your Wiener Schitzel dinner looked delish - and one can never go wrong with a good merlot and peasant bread. Yum.

Thanks for the feedback on the garden stuff - I've resisted the Stella d'Oro (de Oro???) daylilies because everyone here went so overboard on them. However, it would be nice to have continuing color out there. I think the black-eyed susans would be a great choice too. I'm having fun planning - can't wait to start planTing!

Diana LaMarre said...

It looks like your plants are doing great. I thought the asparagus fern looked wonderfully lush for February in Maine.

That picture of your garden is making me itch to get my hands in the dirt (covered in gloves, of course!).

Sissy said...

At last visit, you had only 1 cat! Good for you on your retirement!!
Hoping for spring, soon!
Sis