Thursday, January 03, 2008

We've Only Just Begun

To plow, that is. We had another snow storm blow through Tuesday night with a forecast 6 to 10 inches of snow. Imagine our surprise to wake up to 14 inches of deep, drifting snow.


I peered out of the window into the darkness to the realization that this was NOT 6 inches of snow. We already had ended 2007 with 49 inches of snow on the ground. This was not going to be pleasant.

The first order of business was to get the truck cleaned off so H could plow.

Unfortunately, we had to dig a path through the 3 foot drift in the door yard to get to it.
He could only manage to plow the door yard, as the "Luge" as we fondly refer to our steep driveway, was impossible to plow. We ended up having to call a local plowman to get us out with the help of lots of sanding.
My job is to clear the deck and it took a bit of doing, but I love the exercise and the fresh air. No way am I going to pay to go to the gym when I have plenty to keep me fit right here!Just digging a path to get out of the house took a good half hour!On the positive side, the snow made for a great way to cool down the hot soup before I put it in the fridge!
And we are grateful for our cuddly kitties keeping us warm on these cold winter nights. Sluggo just loves to cuddle on H's lap.Now that we will obviously be stuck inside for a few days, I'll be able to get a few of my "UFO's (unfinished objects) knitted. Our knitting group "The Downeast Knitiodts", met at a local coffee house for our holiday gathering and we all lamented on how many projects we had begun, but not yet finished.Despite having knitted furiously in the weeks before Christmas, I still have several projects in the works; two pair of socks, a hat, another shawl, and a dishcloth or two. I'd best get busy and quit sitting here at the pc, blogging.

I hope everyone had a warm, merry Christmas and I look forward to reading lots of great gardening blogs in 2008. And, speaking of gardens, I have to post a picture of mine, even though it's all white this time of year:

Since all good gardeners have to have something green all year long, here's a shot of my indoor herb garden. The basil looks pretty darned pathetic!

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Looks like you got more than your fair share of snow from that storm! We've been very chilly here these past few days.
You certainly do get plenty of excercise :)
Sluggo is a good boy, doing his part to help keep H warm!
The knitting ladies sound like a fun group. Good luck with your UFO's.
Gotta grow something, don't we? :)
Happy New Year Giddy to you and H!!

Anonymous said...

I think those herbs look pretty good!

Guess I won't complain any more about our 8 inches of snow. You guys really got hit this time. Maybe the rest of the winter won't be so bad, I hope!!!

Sandy