Saturday, January 12, 2008

Bread Again

If you've had enough of my rambling on about this bread book, just move on to another blog now because this post is all about bread.

I've been reading the newly acquired "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes", from cover to cover since I purchased it and each recipe looks better than the next. My goal is to try every one of them eventually.Yesterday, I made two small baguettes, one for us and one to give to our good friends, who spent much time in Europe and also appreciate good artisan bread.
I'm still working on my shaping technique, but the crust and crumb came out beautifully. This was the first attempt at baking on the stone and the difference in crustiness is definitely worth buying one.

With the last bit of the first batch of dough, we made pizza since we had all the ingredients in the fridge and some beautiful, fresh basil given to us by our friends from their winter garden. Notice how this dough bubbles? It's the sign of a really good dough, in my opinion.H got a little carried away with the toppings. Mushrooms, pepperoni, basil, provolone, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. And unfortunately, we got carried away with eating the final product and forgot to take an after photo. I can, however, tell you that it was delicious.

My dilemma now is how to fit in more exercise so I can work off these extra pounds that will inevitably show up if I continue to eat all this great bread! To that end, H and I are heading out for a long hike in Acadia. It's foggy today, but there is beauty in the fog, as well.

Please take a moment to click below to feed a hungry animal. It's free and only takes a second.
Spike and Sluggo will really appreciate it.

www.animalrescuesite.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! i could live on bread and bread alone . . . and some tomatoes and coffee oh and some chocolate and popcorn too . . . but oh my that bread of yours looks out of this world!

i too got a cool bread book recently about flat breads from all around the world and i do intend to learn how to make those, all of them!

Pass the butter please,
~Becky

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Giddy,
I have enjoyed catching up on all your posts this morning.

I may have to try that bread. Both you and Kris have made gorgeous loafs!

How great to have that little indoor herb garden. I bet it's wonderful to taste fresh herbs in your January cooking.

I loved the name of your knitting group--"The Downeast Knitiodts". Cute!

Keep baking and stay warm with all that snow.

Kerri said...

Yum to the both the bread and that fabulous looking pizza! The fresh herbs sound really good too. I should have an herb garden!
Thanks for posting pictures of 'the boys' too. You know how much I enjoy them :)