Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pasta with Sausage and Peppers

Yesterday was one of those days. I had the "cookies". So, what's a girl to do, but tie on the old chili pepper apron and get down to business.

All the ingredients were in the pantry and fridge for a warm, delicious Peperonata Pasta.

First into the pan was a wee bit of olive oil in which to brown the Italian sausage which had been sliced into thin rounds. After browning, the sliced onions and cubed red and green peppers were added and sauteed for a few minutes just until barely soft. Some of my homemade marinara and a bit of extra chopped garlic was then added and the whole thing brought to a simmer while I put the penne pasta on to boil.


The results were pretty tasty!

Earlier, I had put a couple of bread doughs together; one of our favorites is the boule from the "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" bread book and I make it quite often. Today, however, in my quest to try every recipe in the book, I tried the "Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread Inspired by Chris Kimball" on page 78. We were not disappointed. This is now another one of our favorites.

If you have not visited the co-author, Zoe's website, taking the time to do so is definitely worth it.

We didn't waste a minute cutting into the boule, either!


The day before yesterday, when we were in the grocery, H noticed that mussels were on sale, so we had to pick up a bag of those for lunch that day.

I sauteed a small amount of onion and garlic in a large, shallow pan, added some sliced lemon, splashed it with white wine and after picking over and cleaning the mussels, threw them in to the pot, put on the cover and steamed them for about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and enjoy!

A couple of croutons topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and julienned, fresh basil and a glass of Chardonnay, rounded out what was a lovely, light lunch.

My final photo of this post is not one of my best efforts, but the rising, nearly full moon night before last caught my eye. It was swathed in a light cloud cover and stood out starkly from the
dark spruces in the foreground. There was something quite magical about it, and despite the blurred photo, it's one of my favorites.

And now, as we watch yet another beautiful snow falling today, I wish all of you a warm, wonderful Sunday!

Life is sooooo Good,

Hugs, Giddy

No comments: