Sunday, December 02, 2007

Batten Down the Hatches!

There's a snowstorm on the way! It should begin after midnight tonight and blow all day tomorrow as well, with an anticipated 8 to 14 inches of snow and possibly some mixing with rain here on the coast.

H and I have been preparing for the storm all morning.

The deck was cleared to make shoveling easier

The bird and squirrel feeders were stocked
H has had the plow on for about a week in anticipation of the coming winter, so the truck is prepped and ready to go!Snow shovels stand at the ready on the front porchTwo totes of wood are in the foyer warming up before being thrown into the stove

And another two on the porch ready to bring in


The boys were absolutely no help at all as they spent the entire morning in "romper room" activities, chasing each other through the house, stopping occasionally for a wrestling match.

I made a huge batch of meatballs to put into the freezer for meals later in the monthAnd last but not least, here's a picture of my latest craft project. H used to smoke cigars and he never threw the nice cedar boxes away, so I have a pretty good stash. I'd been trying to think of what to do with them when I came up with the idea to make gift boxes out of them. A perfect size to put my knitted socks in!

I just painted them with green spray paint and decoupaged on some pictures of fruit that I cut out of some wall border I had purchased but then never used.

All in all we've had a busy morning and now that we are finished with our storm preparations, I think we can sit back by the toasty wood stove and relax for the rest of the day. Tomorrow will be a busy one with plowing and shoveling, so we'll get plenty of exercise.

Good thing, too since Sluggo has taken to using the exercise bicycle!And so we wait as the sun sinks slowly behind the hills of Acadia. Tomorrow will dawn gray and white. Our first snow storm of the season. What fun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to figure out how to comment in this new format blogger has. Sounds like you are getting a lot more storm than we are, not that I am complaining!

Sandy, from gardenpath

Diana LaMarre said...

It sounds you are getting the storm that just left us.

It was our first storm, too. I loved every minute of it.

It lightly raining most of last night. I wonder how my snow ladies did in the rain....I think more snow is on its way today.

Have fun!

Diana LaMarre said...

I had to come back because I forgot to say what a great idea for those cigar boxes.

They look great and will now become a second gift when you give your socks.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I hope you are warm and toasty today!
I have always loved cigar boxes. My dad smoked them and I guess the smell is dear to me. I only wish I had saved some of his boxes. I have even gone into smoke stores and bought empty ones. They are perfect for all kinds of things!

Kerri said...

Your weather is our weather by the sound of things! Our school closed yesterday. It was a great day for staying inside and getting the Christmas cards written.
Our outdoor furnace was chugging away!
I always love your kitty pictures! I hope Sluggo doesn't hog the exercise bike all winter :) Jasmine and Ginger haven't tried riding ours yet. Don't give them any ideas!
Very clever idea with the cigar boxes. They're beautiful!
We're getting ready for more snow today. I don't mind that so much...it's the high winds that make me cringe, especially after getting caught in that terrible whiteout last winter!