Monday, February 16, 2009

Late Winter Doldrums

My Muse has once again flown the coop! Like me, she is tired of the dirty snow, the ice that has built up in the door yard and the wind which keeps blowing the cold arctic air in our direction.

It wouldn't be so bad if we could get out to hike in the fresh air, but with over 2 feet of snow still on the ground, that's not possible. Yesterday, in desperation, I walked up and down our long, steep driveway 6 times just so I could get fresh air and exercise. At least that was over a mile.

On a bright note, I did notice the pussy willow was beginning to bloom!

I have not been idle on these long winter days and nights. So far, I have finished knitting numerous market bags, dishcloths, socks and, TA DA!, the sweater is finished!


And here is my latest pair of socks.

The winter sunsets continue to amaze us with their beautiful colors.......

These Mourning Doves are regular visitors to the deck buffet.


And through it all, the cats do what cats do best!

Life is Good

Hugs, Giddy

9 comments:

Kerri said...

I know just what you mean, Giddy. This last stretch of winter seems to drag on the longest.
We had a break in routine with a weekend trip to the kids for our grandson's 5th birthday, and also the Big Backyard Bird Count.
I got out into the bracing fresh air this morning and it felt good (11ºF at 7am).
Your cardigan turned out beautifully. Great job!
I'm in such awe of your indescribably glorious sunsets. Your shots capture them so well.
Birds and cats keep us well entertained :)
Yes, life is good in spite of the winter blahs.
You'll have to cook up something delicious to help fight them off!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, the sweater turned out great, and the socks are so cute!! I k=need to find more time to develop my rudimentary knitting skills....

jenn said...

This is definitely the time of year where living in Maine becomes difficult. I have a tough time with late February and March, knowing we still have all those weeks of winter ahead of us. All these grey days lately have been such a bummer.

Still... April is not too far ahead! Hold on!

www.moosetique.com said...

Great looking sweater and fancy socks too! Do you sell your market bags?? You are so talented! I, too, am getting spring fever. It is getting close now and it sure is nice to have the longer days.

Anonymous said...

Love those socks! I never could learn to knit. Spring isn't in sight here in RI yet.

Giddy said...

Kerri, my next post will feature something delicious - stay tuned!

Henbogle, knitting is what keeps me sane all winter long.

Now, Jenn, you and I both know that April is not a spring month in Maine.

Moosetique, I use the market bags as recyclable gift wrap for my Christmas gifts.

Innkeeper Seeley, you don't have time to knit! "-)

WiseAcre said...

Groan, 3 inches of snow fell overnight. But after hearing you still have too much snow to get out a walk in the woods I can't complain. Ours is down to about 8 inches and after the warm spell it crusted over hard and made walking easier than at any other time f the year.

I borrowed your sunset photo and used it as my background. The color was irresistible. If you know me - you know it won't stay up long. I'll be going out to the woods and hope to find a replacement today :)

Giddy said...

Have fun tromping around in the woods, WA. We are currently getting another 8+ inches on top of the remaining 2 feet still on the ground! YUCK!

jenn said...

Hey, I can pretend that April is spring in Maine if I want to. At least by then I can wander through the garden centers and sniff dirt to remind myself that SOON it will be planting time. For now, though, I content myself with gardening catalogs.