Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Last year, I mentioned that I would share my recipe for chocolate zucchini cake. I made one again the other day and it reminded me to do just that. I did not get much zucchini this year, but the yellow squash plants gave us their very best, so I substituted them for the zukes.

chocolate zucchini bundt cake


Ingredients
2 1/2 cups flour (1 1/2 C white flour, 1 C white whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup baking cocoa (I use Ghiradelli cocoa)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
3/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup white sugar (I use Splenda)
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
2 cups coarsely grated unpeeled Zucchini,(2 medium sized) (I used yellow squash)
1/2 cup milk
Glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons milk
Preparation
Grease generously a 10 inch tube or Bundt pan. Dust with flour. Blend dry ingredients and nuts. In large bowl, beat oil and sugars. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla, orange peel and zucchini. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool cake 15 minutes before removing from pan.

Ice with glaze: Blend 1 cup icing sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, just till you get the consistency that you like. Drizzle over the top of the cake.

As long as I'm talking about food, we got a great bargain at our local grocery the other day. Chicken tenders were on sale for $1.89 a pound, so we bought 10 lbs and froze them individually. Last night, I made Chicken Parmesan, and along with my homemade marinara sauce, it was really tasty. The green beans were fresh from the garden, sauteed gently with onion and red pepper in olive oil. Yum!


I've been watching every day now for the hummingbirds. So far, we still have two hanging around the feeder, but according to my journal, they usually leave somewhere between the second and third week of September.


Life is tasty!

Hugs, Giddy

6 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Giddy ............. now I have to go out and buy a bunt cake pan to bake this scrumptious cake in .. shame on you for doing this to me .. I'm in a crazy baking mood and no ingredient or recipe is safe from me !
Thanks Girl ! haha

Anonymous said...

Oh my that does look good. I don't have a bundt pan. Yet.

Diana LaMarre said...

Chicken Parmesan sounds good and the cake looks delish. I must say, you and H do eat good!

I just got home from work. It's
5:30 and i have no idea what to make for dinner. I've been working late all week and right now I am unwinding with a glass of wine and reading a few blogs. I think it's an "eat whatever you find in the frige" kind of night.

Seems like we have been having a lot of those nights lately...maybe the colder weather will bring back my desire to cook. I am sure DH hopes so!

Kerri said...

Giddy, I have the same recipe! I've been planning to make this cake all week and this morning DH was reading your blog and called me to see your delicious looking cake (yes, he usually reads all my blog friends' posts before me! LOL). I'm off to make it now. Have been simmering and straining elderberries this morning to make elerberry/apple jelly. It's a favorite of ours.
I've heard from another friend that the yellow squash makes a good substitute for zucs. We didn't have many of them this year either, but are still getting plenty of yellows.
The chicken sounds delicious too, and oh boy, are we enjoying the fresh beans! Yum! Life is tasty indeed!

Anonymous said...

This is a keeper, Giddy. So glad I can cut and paste!

Anonymous said...

Good morning . . . slice me off a big piece of that cake would ya, please. My mouth is watering!

I wanted to share with you that Martha is having a blog contest. Perhaps you'd like to join in!

You can read about it HEREand post a comment.
Have fun!
~~Becky