Tuesday, July 27, 2010

No Promises

My Muse is still in mourning. No matter how much I try to goad her in to coming out from under her cloak, she peeks occasionally, but refuses to inspire me. Today, I have plied her with fresh vegetables from the garden, gently sauteed in olive oil, garlic and topped with a chiffonade of fresh, fragrant basil, and a few glasses of lovely Chardonnay. She is mellow. Perhaps now, we can allow the joy, the anguish and the hope to rise to the surface. We shall see, but no promises.

The past few months have been a frenzy of activity. I received a small sum of insurance money after H's passing and, coming from a financial background, I gave some serious thought to how I would best invest the sum of his gift. Given the state of the economy and the abysmal handling by both the current and past administrations, the stock market was absolutely out of the question. Banks at this time are under fire and aren't paying any decent amount of interest, so my leanings were toward real estate. With so many properties, unfortunately, under foreclosure at this time, I began looking to buy a rental property. My younger son, along with his wife and two children had decided to move here and were looking for a place to rent, sooooo, it seemed like the ideal time. DIL, found a candidate in my price range on the internet, and since I knew the realtor, I made an appointment to view the property. My eldest son, who was visiting at the time, came along to help check things out.

To make a long story short, I put in an offer and after a couple of counter offers by the bank, it was mine!

I have spent the past few months running back and forth, 20 miles each way from my home to the rental home. Each day, I would spend it there painting and generally improving the property. My son and family moved in early in July and we have been busy with the ongoing things that need our attention. All in all, the property was in good shape, but as with any property that has stood empty for any length of time, some deferred maintenance was to be expected. And....... it needs some landscaping!!! Right up my alley.

This week has been spent stacking firewood for the coming winter and, with the help of DIL, transplanting two lilac bushes and a huge spirea.


Tomorrow is my birthday, so I've been invited to come over for a celebratory lunch. H and I never celebrated our birthdays, so it will be fun to share it with my family.

Yesterday marked six months without my dearly beloved and I am inconsolable. Life without him is difficult. Even though I am busy with my projects and family, and as much as I love them, nothing can fill the bottomless cavern in my heart. People tell me this will pass but I know better; memories may fade, but they are always with one.


My Muse has indicated she is heading back to her hidey hole, so I will end this post with a smile, but heavy heart. and hope to post again soon.

My hugs to all my family, friends and blogger buddies! I wish you all a wonderful day and please, do not forget to tell your loved ones how very much they mean to you on a daily basis!

Life is one day at a time these days, but still good.

Hugs, Giddy

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you made a good decision. And, I am sure that your husband would be very proud of you. That is a pretty house, and one that looks just right for a family.
You are the one to whip that yard into shape, that is for sure. But, you can be the project director. The young ones have to learn things, too.

Happy Birthday!!

glbuzz said...

I am soooo glad to see that you have posted. I have thought of you so many times in the last months and hoped that all was well with you (at least as good as it could be for now).

Congrats on your new venture. It is a great looking house and you will have that yard whipped into a pretty "Giddy Garden" in no time.

Hubby & I put our house on the market 2 months ago, thinking that it would not sell for a year or so. Guess what?! unless something unforeseen happens, the house is sold and we have to be out by 8/27. It is amazing how much "stuff" one can collect in 18 years of living in the same home.

Happy Birthday, Sandy, and I will be looking forward to more posts from Giddy's Garden.

Diana LaMarre said...

Happy Bday, Giddy!

I was so surprised to see what your new venture was. It looks like a sizeable fun project!

I am sure you must be happy to have your childen nearby.

I would love to see pictures as you begin the renovations.

Kerri said...

Our birthdays are close together! I hope you had a very happy day with your family.
How lovely to have them close by now. I loved your facebook pics of the kids playing with the wildlife :) (was it a chipmunk? Can't quite remember).
The rental house is lovely and a good decision, in MHO. It's given you a purpose too, when you needed one, and you've provided a cozy haven for your family to move into. Well done dear Giddy!
I pray your sweet memories of H will buoy you along and comfort you as you feed your muse those lovely fresh veggies.
Sending a very large hug.
xoxo

Jen said...

*SO* glad to hear from you again giddy! I hope that your real estate investment turns out well, I find that projects always have helped me when I need something to bring joy to a dark time. And what is more fun then getting to work on a new landscape! I hope that you update us with pictures of your work, I love reading about renovations. Even if your muse stays in hiding, nothing wrong with some wordless photos. I've been thinking of you and I send positive thoughts up to you and your muse. So glad to hear your son is nearby you right now.

Chip Snyder said...

Sandy - witness my first blog response ever! Glad to read about your new "project" and know that it is keeping you busy. Are you ever not busy? Hope fall and winter come to you gently as the summer here in Louisville has been so hot and today, our first full day of fall, it was 97 degrees! Susan and I think of you and John often and fondly with wonderful memories. I know you all have made your mark up east and you will continue to create wonderful memories for others now. I can hear you now....work/life balance!

Giddy said...

Chip! How wonderful to hear from you!!! Thanks for all your kind words, and thanks to you, I will be inspired to post to my blog again today. My hugs to you, Susan and Henry! I too, think of you and the gang quite often.

Anonymous said...

Hi Giddy - just wanted to stop by and tell you you are in my thoughts. Can't wait to see how you spruce up the gardens.

Teri said...

The pain will not go away but it will get more bearable. It's been two years since my husband died. I think of him daily. Life does go on though. You will likely find that the times you expect to be blindsided by grief, like the holidays, are easier than expected, and that the grief crops up when you least expect it.

I think you made a good choice and I hope it all works out for you.

Jen said...

thinking of you today here in NC and came by to see how your muse is. I hope you are enjoying working on your new place and finding solace in it.

glbuzz said...

Hi Sandy, I've lost your email address but I wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you. I know that tomorrow will be a difficult day for you. Hugs to you. Gladys

Sissy said...

Just a note to tell you that I think of you often!
I hope you are well. I miss you.

Anonymous said...

Would love for your blog to revive, contact me via email. I have an idea to relaunch this spring

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you as the sun returns today, and the buds swell and crocus blooms. Hope you and the kitties are doing ok!
Ali

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My name is Kelly Whitaker and I work with Regan Communications Group. We are representing the Newport Flower Show, which is being held June 24th-26th, and would like to send you some media materials pertaining to the show. I came across your blog and figured this event would be of interest to you. If you could please email me at kwhitaker@reganinterns.com with a contact email so we can forward these materials to you, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Best,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

You should add some gnomes to embellish the whole thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeGO6tEmPyM

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, and hoping you are well, that you are able to find joy in life and from those who love you.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, and hoping you are well, that you are able to find joy in life and from those who love you.

LostRoses said...

Giddy, I haven't looked at blogger for ages and started looking up some old gardening friends. I'm so sorry to read that your dear husband died.From your posts I see that you are trying very hard to pick up life again and carry on which I know is so hard. Here's hoping that your muse will return to you and you will find a way to make a different life your own.

Justin Hamilton said...

Your husband should definitely be proud of you. Gardening is such an educational hobby.

Living Soils said...

Very nice. I'm impressed with the piles of firewood. Did you chop them yourself?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you are still out there gardening somewhere. I hope you are doing well if so.